Do you remember the clothes you wore to your first dance? The music you danced to? The smell of carbolic soap? Or high tea on a Sunday afternoon?
Why not borrow and explore our Reminiscence Boxes? These are themed boxes of real objects to handle, photos to explore, sounds and smells to trigger memories and encourage conversation with older people in care homes or in their own homes. They are available for hire to clubs, organisations and care in the community.
Boxes we have to offer
- Memories of Childhood – Remember the games you played? The toys you always wanted? Here are items to help you recall carefree times.
- Going on a journey – Where were your summer holidays? Did you go by car, train or bus? This box will bring back memories of journeys past.
- Everyday Memories – What are your strongest memories? Fish and chips in newspaper? The corner shop that had everything you needed? Help to rekindle memories with the aid of this box.
- Home – Did you have a baking day? Were you good with a needle and thread? With a selection of objects from this box bring back memories of home.
- Men in Mind – What do you remember gentleman? What did you get up to as a lad? This box will bring back memories especially for men.
Afternoon Tea Sessions
- Our tea sessions are designed to evoke memories of afternoon tea. We provide table cloths, cake stands, dollies and sugar tongs to create a table laid for afternoon tea. Waitresses in period costume will assist your staff to make this an enjoyable activity for your residents. Our cost for this service is £50 per session and is offered subject to availability. A minimum of 12 guests and a maximum of 16 people are required.
Never used Reminiscence boxes before?
The museum also offers occasional training in the use of these boxes throughout the year; please contact us for more details.
How do I borrow a box?
By contacting Peterborough Museum for details of availability, loan periods and collection and return policies.
Reminiscence Box charges:
- Box loan per week: £10
- Box loan for 4 weeks: £35
- Penalty charge for objects returned late: £5
Boxes must be collected and returned by the hirer.
Please note: all bookings are subject to availability, and the Museum cannot guarantee that boxes will not be withdrawn without notice for maintenance or other purposes. During hire periods the objects are the responsibility of the hirer, loss or damaged items will have to be paid for.
How can I find out more?
For more information and bookings, please call: 01733 864 700 (Museum Education Team) or email email@example.com.